Improve hand strength and wrist mobilityBy Connie Wan, P.h.D | January 10th, 2018
We tend to take our hands for granted; in the meantime, we all know that without our hands our life definitely would come to a sudden stop. Despite being so useful, most of us do not take care of our hands properly. This is one reason why people end up suffering from hand pain and reduced mobility over time. If you find daily tasks difficult to do because you suffer from stiffness, swelling, or pain in your hands, the right hand mobility exercises can help get you back in motion.
Your muscles and tendons move the joints through arcs of motion, such as when you bend and straighten your fingers. Range-of-motion hand mobility exercises move your wrist and fingers through their normal ranges of motion and require all the hand’s tendons to perform their specific functions. They should be done slowly and deliberately, to avoid injury. Hold each position for 5–10 seconds. Do 10 repetitions of each exercise at a time. Repeat three times a day.
- Wrist extension and flexion
- Place your forearm on a table on a rolled-up towel for padding with your hand hanging off the edge of the table, palm down.
- Move the hand upward until you feel a gentle stretch
- Return to the starting position.
- Repeat the same motions with the elbow bent at your side, palm facing up.
- Wrist supination/pronation
- Stand or sit with your arm at your side with the elbow bent to 90 degrees, palm facing down.
- Rotate your forearm, so that your palm faces up and then down.
- Wrist ulnar/radial deviation
- Support your forearm on a table on a rolled-up towel for padding with thumb upward.
- Move the wrist up and down through its full range of motion.
- Thumb flexion/extension
- Begin with your thumb positioned outward.
- Move the thumb across the palm and back to the starting position.
- Hand/finger tendon glide
- Start with the fingers extended straight out.
- Make a hook fist; return to a straight hand.
- Make a full fist; return to a straight hand.
- Make a straight fist; return to a straight hand.
Thanks for reading.
About SGC:SGC is an R&D focused developer of nutraceutical and pharmaceutical gummy products. The company specializes in formulating Functional Gummy® products combining the wealth of the in-house knowledge in pharmaceutics, chemistry, western medicine and herbal medicine. The company provides performance gummies® inspired by Traditional Chinese Medicine including MOCCA SHOTS™, ENERGON QUBE™, FUNTIONAL FRUIT®, and SEATTLE BEAUTY®.