Everyone has dealt with a poor night’s sleep at some point in their lives. When you don’t get enough sleep, you may experience grogginess, irritability, poor memory, or difficulty concentrating. Sleep is an essential part of maintaining a healthy lifestyle, but what if you have difficulty falling or staying asleep?
It’s estimated that around 60 percent of adults report sleep-related issues a few nights a week, and at least 40 million Americans suffer from a sleep disorder. Unfortunately, long-term sleep deprivation can lead to long-term health problems, more accidents, and depression.
Are you having trouble falling or staying asleep? In this guide, you’ll learn everything you should know about melatonin gummies, how they can help you sleep, and how you can start getting more quality sleep.
What Are Sleep Gummies?
Sleep gummies are gummies packed with melatonin and other medicinal herbs and supplements. Melatonin gummies may help promote a healthy sleep cycle, improve sleep quality, and promote general calmness.
Melatonin is a hormone naturally produced by the pineal gland in your brain. This essential hormone helps your body know when it’s time to sleep, wake, and helps reduce tiredness throughout the day. In most cases, your body will produce more melatonin in the evening before dropping off in the morning. However, many factors impact how much melatonin your body produces, including the amount of light you experience during the day and your body’s internal clock.
While the body produces melatonin naturally, sometimes it’s not enough, and supplements like melatonin gummies may be able to help you fall asleep, stay asleep, and improve the quality of your sleep.
How do Gummies Help Me Sleep?
While there are many causes of sleep deprivation or disorders, sometimes the body doesn’t produce enough melatonin. Therefore, melatonin gummies may be helpful to people experiencing sleep-related conditions, jet lag, and may improve sleep. Additionally, research has suggested that melatonin supplements may improve nighttime sleep without causing daytime drowsiness the following day.
Sleep Gummies to Fall Asleep Fast and Stay Asleep
Melatonin gummies may reduce the time it takes you to fall asleep and help you stay asleep through the night. However, the time you take melatonin is key to its effectiveness. It can take several hours for melatonin to start to become effective. Therefore, it’s recommended that you take melatonin four or five hours before bedtime. Additionally, it doesn’t take a lot of melatonin to benefit. Generally, between 0.3 mg and 1 mg is sufficient.
How to Get Better Sleep
While sleep gummies may help you fall and stay asleep, there are several steps you can take to start getting adequate, quality sleep every night.
- Aim for the Recommended Amount of Sleep Each Night: When planning your sleep cycle, it’s essential to know how much sleep you need. The amount of sleep that’s recommended is based on age. Most adults need at least seven hours of sleep each night, but older adults ages 61 and up should get between seven and nine hours. Additionally, children and adolescents need more rest, depending on their age.
- Avoid Chemicals That Interfere With Sleep Before Bedtime: Several chemicals act as stimulants and can keep you awake if taken too close to bedtime. These chemicals include caffeine and tobacco, which should not be taken within four to six hours before bedtime.
- Make Your Bedroom a Sleep-Inducing Environment: Your room should promote a sleep-inducing environment. For example, keeping your room dark, quiet, and cool can help improve your quality of sleep. Additionally, you may benefit from avoiding electronic devices at bedtime and to avoid non-sleep activities in your bedroom during the day.
- Perfect Your Pre-Sleep Routine: Maintaining a bedtime routine can help your body prepare for sleep. Your bedtime routine should consist of the hour before bed and may include relaxing activities like a bath, reading, meditating, or practicing relaxation exercises. Additionally, it would help if you avoided stressful activities such as discussing emotional topics, working, or exercising.
- Be Consistent: Set a bedtime and stick with it. Doing so will help regulate your body’s internal clock, which may lead to better sleep.
- Limit Daytime Naps: Daytime naps can impact your sleep. When possible, limit daytime naps. If you must nap, try not to nap for longer than 30 minutes, and try not to nap later in the day.
- Know When to See Your Doctor: Sleep gummies and other sleep recommendations do not replace your doctor. If you’re consistently having difficulty falling or staying asleep, it’s essential to contact your doctor to try to identify and treat the reason for your sleep-related problems.
The Bottom Line
Sleep is essential to your health, but it’s not always easy to get good, quality sleep. Many things can interfere with your sleep, but you can take steps to improve your sleep and feel more restful. In addition to maintaining good sleep habits, melatonin gummies may help you fall asleep and stay asleep.