Whether working out in the gym, the yard, or competing in an endurance event, staying hydrated is essential for your physical health and safety and for achieving peak performance. Electrolytes are minerals that help your body stay hydrated. That’s why many people use electrolyte supplements like gummies, drinks, and powders. You have a lot of choices when it comes to electrolytes, but which one is right for you? Join us as we discuss the pros and cons of electrolyte gummies, drinks, and powders.
Why is it Important to Choose the Best Electrolytes Supplement for You?
1. Prevent Dehydration
Dehydration can be dangerous to your health and is important to prevent by taking in electrolytes while working out, especially in the heat. Any activity in the heat can lead to dehydration, so taking electrolytes and water is essential. Dehydration symptoms include fatigue, dizziness, lightheadedness, and dry mouth. Severe dehydration can be life-threatening and may lead to seizures, kidney failure, or shock.
2. Improve Performance
Staying hydrated and fueled when exercising is vital to good energy levels, stamina, and endurance. Fatigue is one of the first signs of dehydration. Staying adequately hydrated will improve your energy and help you prevent or overcome crashes.
3. Avoid Digestive Upset
Choose an electrolyte product with a balanced blend of electrolytes recommended by the World Health Organization (WHO). These electrolytes work together to ensure adequate hydration. And, since they are designed to be absorbed efficiently by the body, you will bypass the upset stomach imbalanced or incomplete electrolyte blends may cause.
Pros & Cons of Electrolyte Gummies
Here are some of the pros of electrolyte gummies:
- Pro: Gummies are easy to take and pack for endurance events.
- Pro: Gummies absorb faster than electrolyte drinks and powders, which must be digested first. You’ll feel the effects of an electrolyte gummy more quickly.
Here are some of the cons of electrolyte gummies:
- Con: Some gummies will melt in the heat. Seattle Gummy Company (SGC) gummies are formulated to be melt-resistant and can be left in hot cars, gym bags, etc., but other gummies will break down if they get too hot.
- Con: Gummies sometimes have fewer electrolytes, like sodium, than drinks or powders. This can be an issue if you are seriously dehydrated and need a large dose of sodium to regulate your fluids.
SGC gummies use technology at the molecular level to add more ingredients to their gummies, and the Hydrafuel Electrolyte + Fuel gummy has 16x more sodium and electrolyte levels!
Pros & Cons of Electrolyte Drinks
Here are some of the pros of electrolyte drinks:
- Pro: Since these drinks are pre-mixed, they don’t require prep work, mixing, or extra things like cups.
- Pro: Pre-mixed drinks are easy to grab and use during a workout. You can also find them at a wide variety of retail locations.
Here are some of the cons of electrolyte drinks:
- Con: Most electrolyte drinks have an incomplete electrolyte profile. At best, this means you won’t hydrate as well as you would with the WHO’s complete list of recommended electrolytes.
At worst, you could get an upset stomach.
- Con: Since electrolyte drinks come in bottles, they take up more space than a gummy or powder. It may be too heavy or awkward to pack more than one or two at a time.
- Con: Electrolyte drinks use more disposable packaging than other products. They are also more expensive to have shipped to your home.
Pros & Cons of Electrolyte Powders
Here are some of the pros of electrolyte powders:
- Pro: You can buy more powder at once, which may be convenient. This also reduces the amount of packaging.
- Pro: Powders can also come in individual serving packets, making them easy to take on the go. They fit easily into bags and pockets
Here are some of the cons of electrolyte powders:
- Con: Many electrolyte powders don’t include all the WHO-recommended electrolytes or aren’t correctly balanced. This can lead to poor hydration and an upset stomach.
- Con: Powders require a cup, water, and mixing, so preparation of some kind is needed. They may be harder to use on the go or during a workout. Dissolving the powder completely without a shaker cup can also be challenging.
Try Hydrafuel Electrolyte Gummies!
Hydrafuel gummies are the world’s first electrolyte AND fuel gummies! Simple sugars help your body hydrate more effectively and give your muscles energy to keep going for longer. Give yourself the hydration and fuel you need to do that last set of reps or make it across the finish line with the Hydrafuel Electrolyte + Fuel gummy from SGC.