The importance of hydration is easy to recognize when the sun is beating down, and the temperatures are blazing. But did you know that it is also crucial to maintain hydration in the cooler months? When the temperature changes, we trade out t-shirts for sweaters and coats, opt for warm beverages over cold, and turn on the heat. The cooler weather prompts many necessary changes, but one crucial thing that should not drop by the wayside is a concern for hydration. Thankfully, there is an easy and delicious way to stay hydrated. Electrolyte gummies can prevent cold weather and dehydration from getting the best of you. Join us on a deep dive into hydration gummies, where we answer questions like, “Does cold weather dehydrate you?” and “How can you stay hydrated in cooler weather?”
Does cold weather dehydrate you?
Yes, cold weather can dehydrate you. If that comes as a surprise, you are not alone. It is a common misconception that cold weather does not dehydrate us to the same extent as hot weather, but staying hydrated is just as crucial during the winter.
Human adult bodies are composed of up to 60% water. Water is the primary building material of our cells. It regulates our body temperature, transports nutrients, flushes waste out of our body, and more. Water is lost whenever we sweat, urinate, or have a bowel movement. Dehydration happens when the body loses more fluid than it takes in and does not have enough fluid to function properly.
In the colder months, it is common to work up a sweat under layers of clothing, and sweat can be more challenging to notice in the colder weather. In addition to losing water through sweating, water also leaves the body through the skin. The dryer air from indoor heating can cause dehydration, often without people knowing. We also lose a substantial amount of water from our bodies by breathing. When you can see your breath in the cold air, you are actually seeing the moisture leaving your body through your breath.
Studies conducted at the University of New Hampshire show that cold weather dehydration is caused by more than water loss. It is also because cold temperatures change the feeling of thirst. In cold weather, our bodies prioritize core temperature regulation over sending the physiological stimulus to drink. Thus, it is much easier to become dehydrated during the winter months.
The Importance of Hydration During the Colder Months
In the colder months, hydration is vital for many reasons, including the following:
- Our bodies need proper nutrition and hydration to maintain a safe core temperature. If you have not consumed enough fluid, your body temperature could drop to dangerously low levels, which is particularly problematic when cold outside.
- In the colder months, the air outside is less humid. Additionally, the hot air inside can cause water to evaporate from the body. Together, these two factors can lead to dry skin and lips. Thus, adequate hydration is crucial to keeping our skin and lips moist.
- Low temperatures make it more challenging for the body to fight off a virus, and dry air makes it easier for viruses to spread. Staying hydrated helps the skin and mucous membrane cells prevent germs from entering the body and helps you recover faster if you get sick.
How can you stay hydrated in cooler weather?
To stay hydrated in cooler weather, consider the following strategies:
- Keep Water Within Reach – Carry a water bottle everywhere, and drink consistently throughout the day. Aim for at least eight 8-ounce glasses of water daily, but remember that individual needs vary.
- Enjoy Warm Beverages – If it is more appealing to drink something warm, consider enjoying warm water with lemon, hot herbal teas, and broths. These cozy beverages will provide you with hydration and some additional nutritional benefits.
- Drink Your Food – Hydration can come from soups and water-rich fruits and vegetables like leafy greens, citrus, and cucumbers.
- Opt for a Mocktail – Although alcohol is a liquid, it can accelerate fluid loss. To maximize hydration, skip the alcohol and opt for a more hydrating beverage. Increase your water and electrolyte intake to offset the dehydrating properties if you indulge.
- Eat a Hydration Gummy – We created the world’s first electrolyte and fuel gummy, the HydraFuel Hydration Gummy, to help you stay hydrated, energized, and feel your best every month of the year. With a synergistic ratio of electrolytes and fuel, the hydration gummies are designed to replenish electrolytes lost through sweat, help direct water and nutrients to areas of the body where it is needed most, and help maintain optimal fluid balance at a cellular level.
To enjoy fast-acting chewable gummies, shop today!